Tuesday 27 November 2012

Why I don't reply to people on Twitter

Right. Just a quick thing to explain why I hardly reply to people on Twitter. I didn't really want to write about it, because it's been covered often enough by others. However, there have been a few moments recently where I've thought "I wish I'd written a blog explaining why I hardly ever reply to people, so I could explain why I don't reply to people to these people who are wondering why I don't reply to people". That sort of thing. Anyway, if I find myself in that situation in future I will be able to point those people at this blog post.

I hope most people understand why I don't reply, don't really expect it and don't let it bother them. This blog isn't for you, so you might as well carry on doing what you were doing. You know, scrubbing your dishes, cleaning your feet. However, there have been a few moments recently where I felt people's expectations of me were a bit too high, so this is an attempt to steer those people away from further disappointment.

These days I probably get 500+ replies a day. Mostly my own fault because I instigate many of them. However, I have got to the point where I can't really manage to read them all any more. It's a shame, but that's how it is. I've recently known that sometimes people think I'm ignoring them. I try to read as many as I can because I really quite enjoy twitter, but other things like my work, comedy events, productions and family insist I spend some time thinking about them or even just going about them occasionally.

The other thing is, I tweet a lot, I think. But this doesn't mean I am constantly 'on' twitter. More often than not I tweet while I'm doing other things then I come back a few minutes later and there'll be a whole load of replies and retweets, which I'll try to read and, if I am feeling naughty or in a really friendly mood, I may reply to one or two. The other thing is, I rarely look at links that people send me or ask me to retweet. I have bookmarked quite a lot of them, though, so I'll try to catch up with them when I retire or something.

So, this blog post is just to say I'm sorry. I do my best. I do feel guilty about it and everything almost all the time (especially when you're saying something nice to me) but all I can say is: don't count on me. This replying thing isn't really anything to do with how many followers you have, it's about how much time you have to dedicate to twitter. In my case it's never enough.

Anyway, on that note, I'll have to leave you. I feel slightly morbid. Anyway, normal blogging service will be resumed. I'm just glad you'll all know that I'll now be ignoring you.